Marquis de Lafayette
- Marquis was born on September 6, 1757 in Auvergne, France.
- His father was a soldier and died during a war against England.
- His family was wealthy $$$
- He joined the French Army when he was only 14 years old.
Why Is He Important?
- Marquis de Lafayette was a French general who played an important part during the Revolutionary War.
- He helped the colonists against the British.
- He volunteered his time and money to help the Americans.
- He was able to help the Americans win the war and was treated as a hero.
After the Revolutionary War
- Marquis returned to France and was part of the French government.
- He returned to the French army in 1782 and was considered a hero because of his work in other wars.
- He was known as “The hero of two Worlds”.
- The United States rewarded him with money and land for all of his help.
- Lafayette died in Paris on May 20, 1834.
- He became a symbol of the friendship between France and the United States.
- He is known for being brave and willing to help others.
- Even thou he lived so many years ago he is still famous for helping the United States gain its independence.
Why is our school named after Marquis de Lafayette?
- Lafayette Elementary is named after Marquis de Lafayette, who was a famous General.
- He was an important person in the American Revolutionary War.
- He helped the colonists during the war.
- Now you know why our school is named Lafayette Elementary School.
By : Cynthia Baca
May 19, 2010